Went shopping today… which is newsworthy, since I only get around to doing a proper full shop once in a blue moon (we tend to just pick up stuff from the supermarket as we need it otherwise.
But I went to the cheap greengrocer, and picked up 2 kinds of apples, oranges and pumpkin for 99c a kilo…. zucchini for $1.99 a kilo… and I also got some cheap yellow and purple sweet potato, some small capsicums that looked really cute because they had the stem on still (going to stuff those with rice and use them as a bowl)… ginger, garlic, onions, spring onions, peas, and bananas.
I also got one of their “$2 boxes”.. which is a box of fruit & veg, a bit past it’s prime or broken or something…. It is normally great value. A friend and I bought one each, and she didn’t want some of her things, so I got to swap some apples and a rockmelon for some mint, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, a corn cobb and an eggplant! So for $2 I ended up with:
- 2 eggplants
- 2 small avocados
- 1 bunch of some sort of Chinese cabbage thing (like bok choy but not)
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch mint
- 4 carrots
- 2 cobbs corn
- half a butternut pumpkin
- 1 and 2 small halves zucchini
- 2 persimmons (one quite squidgy)
- a punnet of strawberries (2 squidgy, the rest delicious)
- a punnet of raspberries (a couple squidgy, but gobbled up quickly)
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 apples
- a small lettuce
- a punnet of cherry tomatoes
How much does that rock!
So meal plan for the next little while….
- homemade pizza (I got yeast and I’ll make our own bases, or use the wholemeal pita bread in the freezer)….
- Burritos (to use up some of the tomatoes and lettuce)
- Falafels (bought a mix), couscous & char-grilled vegetables
- homemade pork & veg spring rolls with fried organic tofu and some sort of asian greens stirfry to use up that bok choy stuff
- moroccan meatballs with couscous and salad (or maybe chargrilled veg…)
- zucchini slice
- chicken and veg kebabs with basmati rice
- Roast/chargrilled vegies
- Quiche (if the chickens supply enough eggs), a meat & vegetable pie if not.
- Mongolian lamb stirfry
- Chicken, eggplant & mushroom pies (made in the pie maker)
- porcupine balls (make seasoned meatballs, roll in uncooked rice, then steam them so the rice cooks and looks funky) with something….
- Homemade chicken & veg nuggets with (homemade) potato wedges
- Slow cooker casserole with herbed dumplings
- Potato & lentil patties (addicted to these at the moment)
- Stuffed capsicum with something…. maybe some more kebabs?
I’m also going to make up some more spaghetti sauce in bulk to freeze, that worked nicely last time… I could just pull the readymade sauce out of the freezer and defrost that during the day and just cook the pasta to go with it.
And the other day I made MiniObsi some multigrain crackers, which worked nicely… almost like those vitawheat bites things……so I’ll be making those again…(for “recess”) and I bought some oats and bran and things to make some muesli, so I can make some muesli bars for her… because bought ones have too much sugar and stuff in them, not to mention packaging and expense.